If you’ve taken the pre-SOJC core classes but don’t meet the GPA requirements, talk to an advisor about petitioning the SOJC for full major status. Your petition is an opportunity to show us that, despite academic setbacks, you have a high potential for success in the major.
Step 1: Gather your materials. Along with the online application, you’ll need:
Well-written statement of intent: Tells us who you are and why you want to major in advertising, journalism, media studies, or public relations. Demonstrate your understanding of the major, the industry, and what you plan to do with it. Make sure:
- Your name and ID number are included at the top right-hand corner of the first page.
- Your statement doesn’t exceed two double-spaced pages in 12-point font, with one-inch margins on all sides.
Evidence of improving grades: Show us you’ve made adjustments and are working to turn around your academic performance. Solid grades in your SOJC classes are especially important.
- Letters of recommendation: Provide at least one letter of support, ideally from an academic or professional source—even better if it’s someone in the SOJC. One or two strong recommendations are better than several mediocre ones. Ask your recommenders to email letters directly to email@example.com or give them to you as a PDF.
- Work samples: Show us up to five samples of your work, either published or unpublished. Briefly explain why you chose to include each piece. Convert any docs into PDFs, and upload multimedia samples to a website.
- Resumé: To petition as a PR major, you’ll need to provide a one-page resumé. For everyone else, this step is optional.
- Other materials: You’re welcome to include other documents that help support your petition, such as evidence of a learning disability or medical diagnosis.
Tips for Success:
- Do your research. Show us you thoroughly understand the career field you want to pursue and are ready to tackle the hard work ahead.
- Give us context. Include a half-page description for each work sample. What is it? What was your goal in creating it? Why did you include it?
- Edit your materials. This is your chance to show us your communication skills. Don’t let typos get in your way.
- Name your documents correctly. Help us keep track of your petition by using the following naming format:
- Statement of intent: Last Name_ID number_statement.pdf
- Letters of recommendation: Last Name_ID number_LOR.pdf
- Work samples: Last Name_ID number_WorkSample1.pdf, etc.
- Resumé: Last Name_ID number_Resume.pdf
- Other materials: After “Last Name_ID number_” use the title that best describes the document.
- For public relations petitions: We highly encourage you to take J350 Principles of Public Relations before petitioning.
Step 2: Submit your petition.
The Winter 2020 application portal is now closed. The Summer 2020 application portal will go live in May 2020.
Remember to prepare all your documents ahead of time before you submit your petition. You will not be able to adjust your application after you’ve submitted it.
Upcoming Petition Deadlines
- June 12th, 2020, 5:00 p.m.: To begin J211, J212 and/or J213 in Summer 2020.
- August 14th, 2020, 4:30 p.m.: To begin J211, J212 and/or J213 in Fall 2020.